Lincoln High History


Lincoln History

Lincoln High School closed in 1981, but the building is still alive …and getting better. Several years ago the old school housed Ballard High School while their new facility was being built. In 2004-2006, Roosevelt High School and in 2006-2008 Garfield High School found temporary homes at Lincoln, again while their buildings were being upgraded. Lincoln is currently housing Hamilton International Middle School for the 2008-09 and 2009-10 school years while the Hamilton building undergoes a complete renovation. In the fall of 2010 the building will become the temporary home for McDonald Grade School and Queen Anne Elementary school.


Lincoln High has a proud heritage of 74 years during which the school was proclaimed the Champions of the West by loyal Lynx “who stand together”. A historical sketch of Lincoln does not do justice to the lives of the students who spent three or four years within its hallowed halls. However, the Seattle School District published a history of all Seattle schools in 2000. To access the history of Lincoln High please click here.


In July 1988 the Seattle Public Schools contracted with Historic Seattle Preservation and Development Authority to undertake a comprehensive inventory and evaluation of the district's early buildings. To access the portion of this document relating to the Lincoln High building please click here.


Historical contributions extracted from the 1908 and 1981 annuals shed a more intimate look at what it meant to be a “Loyal Lynx”. To access these historical insights please click here.



 

Visit the LHS Class of 1953 Website

Back to Lincoln Lynx Alumni Association

website statistics